Police Tour: Start Day 2

This my recounting from my journal of the events of day one... For now, you can guess where most of the photos fit in. If I feel generous or REALLY bored at some point, I may "in-line" them for you. The photo link is at the end of this post.

About 6:07am (my watch) Anna, Ian and I hit the road from my house.

6:30am we start listening to our first music. I have decided to put an entire playlist (as sanity allows) on the blog to help establish a time-line. (thanks to wikipedia for all the cut and paste playlists)
  • "If I Ever Lose My Faith in You" (Sting) – 4:30
  • "Love Is Stronger Than Justice (The Munificent Seven)" (Sting) – 5:11
  • "Fields of Gold" (Sting) – 3:42
  • "Heavy Cloud No Rain" (Sting) – 3:39
  • "She's Too Good for Me" (Sting) – 2:30
  • "Seven Days" (Sting) – 4:40
  • "Saint Augustine in Hell" (Sting) – 5:05
  • "It's Probably Me" (Sting, Eric Clapton, Michael Kamen) – 4:57
  • "Shape of My Heart" (Sting, Dominic Miller) – 4:38
  • "Something the Boy Said" (Sting) – 5:13
  • "Epilogue (Nothing 'Bout Me)" (Sting) – 3:39
at 7:30am we get to North Battleford, stop at the Tim Horton's etc... We have already begun to dissect Ten Summoner's Tales and talk about the meanings of the songs and some of Sting and the Polices big themes.

  • "Fallout" (Stewart Copeland)* – 2:04
  • "Nothing Achieving" (Copeland)* – 1:56
  • "Dead End Job" (Sting, Copeland, Andy Summers)* – 3:35
  • "Next to You" (Sting) – 2:50
  • "So Lonely" (Sting) – 4:49
  • "Roxanne" (Sting) – 3:12
  • "Hole in My Life" (Sting) – 4:52
  • "Peanuts" (Copeland, Sting) – 3:58
  • "Can't Stand Losing You" (Sting) – 2:58
  • "Truth Hits Everybody" (Sting) – 2:53
Anna (who is driving at this time) begins to obsess about a car that is following us regardless of whether we speed up or slow down. After much discussion, Anna convinces me not to give the driver the finger and instead I satisfy myself with taking 50 reflection pictures until I exhaust the exercise. I'll bet you' re all glad that I threw out most of them.

  • "Born in the 50's" (Sting) – 3:40
  • "Be My Girl - Sally" (Sting, Summers) – 3:22
  • "Masoko Tanga" (Sting) – 5:40
  • "Landlord" (Live) (Sting, Copeland) * – 2:36
  • "Next to You" (Live) (Sting)* – 3:11
  • "Landlord" (Sting, Copeland) * – 3:09
  • "Message in a Bottle" (Sting) – 4:51
  • "Reggatta de Blanc" (Copeland, Sting, Summers) – 3:06
  • "It's Alright for You" (Copeland, Sting) – 3:13
  • "Bring on the Night" (Sting) – 4:16
9:10am picture by the Alberta sign.

  • "Deathwish" (Copeland, Sting, Summers) – 4:13
  • "How Stupid Mr. Bates" (Sting, Summers, Copeland) * – 2:41
  • "A Kind of Loving" (Sting, Summers, Copeland) * – 2:03
  • "Synchronicity I" (Sting) – 3:23
  • Walking in Your Footsteps" (Sting) – 3:36
  • "O My God" – 4:02
  • "Mother" (Summers) – 3:05
  • "Miss Gradenko" (Copeland) – 1:59
  • "Synchronicity II" (Sting) – 5:02
  • "Every Breath You Take" (Sting) – 4:13
  • "King of Pain" (Sting) – 4:59
  • "Wrapped Around Your Finger" (Sting) – 5:13
  • "Tea in the Sahara" (Sting) – 4:19
  • "Murder by Numbers" (Sting, Summers) – 4:36
  • "Man in a Suitcase" (Live) (Sting) * – 2:17
  • "Someone to Talk To" (Summers) * – 3:08
  • "Message in a Bottle" (Live) (Sting) * – 4:51
  • "I Burn for You" * – 4:49
  • "Once Upon a Daydream" (Sting, Summers) * – 3:31
  • "Tea in the Sahara" (Live) (Sting)* – 5:06
  • "Don't Stand So Close to Me '86" (Sting)* – 6:24
  • "The Boy In the Bubble"
  • "Graceland"
  • "I Know What I Know"
  • "Gumboots"
  • "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes"
  • "You Can Call Me Al"
  • "Under African Skies"
  • "Homeless
  • "Crazy Love Vol II"
  • "That Was Your Mother"
11:05am Road King

  • "All Around The World or The Myth Of Fingerprints"
We take a break from music at this point.
At 11:50am we put on some Great Big Sea.

  • "Donkey Riding"
  • "When I'm Up (I Can't Get Down)"
  • "Everything Shines"
  • "Goin Up" (Doyle)
  • "Boston and St.John's" (Doyle)
  • "The Night Pat Murphy Died"
  • "Consequence Free" (Doyle/McCann)
  • "Captain Wedderburn"
12:20pm After some pictures (the lake and me dunking my head the first time) we lunch. If not already, you will soon (next day or two) be able to read all about our meals on Anna's Blog. She will do a better job of it than I would. That and I guess I feel that I have enough to type already.

I start driving when we finish eating.

  • "The Old Black Rum"
  • "General Taylor"
  • "Lukey"
  • "Feel It Turn" (McCann)
  • "I'm A Rover"
  • "Fast As I Can" (Doyle)
  • "Jack Hinks"
  • "Mari-Mac"
  • "Ordinary Day" (Doyle/McCann)
  • "Excursion Around the Bay"
  • "Hangin Johnny"
  • The Hounds of Winter – 5:27
  • I Hung My Head – 4:40
  • Let Your Soul Be Your Pilot – 6:41
  • I Was Brought to My Senses – 5:48
  • You Still Touch Me – 3:46
  • I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying – 3:56
  • All Four Seasons – 4:28
  • La Belle Dame Sans Regrets – 5:17
  • Valparaiso – 5:27
  • Lithium Sunset – 2:38
I finished my driving tour of duty@7:15pm. @7:35pm we start up the music again.

  • "A Sermon" (Copeland) * – 2:33
  • "Driven to Tears" (Live)(Sting) * – 3:29
  • "Shambelle" (Summers) * – 5:00
  • "Spirits in the Material World" (Sting) – 2:59
  • "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" (Sting) – 4:22
7:45pm spotted black bears but no place to stop on the highway and there was a large truck coming down the mountain right behind us.

  • "Invisible Sun" (Sting) – 3:44
  • "Hungry for You (J'aurais Toujours Faim de Toi)" (Sting) – 2:53
  • "Demolition Man" (Sting) – 5:57
  • "Too Much Information" (Sting) – 3:43
  • "Rehumanize Yourself" (Copeland, Sting) – 3:10
  • "One World (Not Three)" (Sting) – 4:47
  • "Ωmegaman" (Summers) – 2:48
  • "Secret Journey" (Sting) – 3:34
  • "Darkness" (Copeland) – 3:14
  • "Flexible Strategies" (Sting, Summers, Copeland) * – 3:43
  • "Low Life" * (Sting) – 3:45

at 9:40pm we finally get near Kamloops. Close enough for a cell call to Wendy. The girls are (long) in bed so I catch Wen up on my day and say goodbye.

10pm we stop at a Tim's in Kamloops and I switch into the drivers seat again and drive for the remainder of the trip. By this point we have just made it out of the winding mountain trails with wild things around every bend and onto the broad and screaming Coquihalla. Too bad for me that it was pitch dark and the painted lines on the road faded and then gradually disappeared entirely. It was a harrowing experience to be sure. Much like driving in a snow storm in terms of visibility. After we paid the toll at the top of the pass, they decided to put new paint on the road and even reasonable lights. Too late, I was already frustrated and bug-eyed.

Anna and Ian both stayed up to keep me company, which was good cause I needed the support and directions from Anna in particular as we neared Vancouver and our hotel. With only one real directional misstep, we finally made it, as I suppose you can guess.

Now that you sat through all that...
Here is my picture link with all the to date pictures (now including "day 2")
Police Tour

Comments

rainswept said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
rainswept said…
the_Plow noticed that your playlist is long on Sting and short on The Police.

So we concluded are really a Sting fan and not so much a Police fan.



We've got a real think tank goin' on over here.
captainorange said…
We loaded the playlist to play some sting that Anna and Ian had only heard once or twice. But, mostly, you are right. What I like about the police does largely revolve around Sting's contribution. However, Ian is actually a Police fan. I think we are bringing each other around vis the others preferences.
captainorange said…
Oh, and in case there is any confusion, the songs in the list that say 'sting' beside them only indicate that they were written by Sting, not that they are performed by him in a 'solo' sense.
Ian said…
I think we listened to 3 sting albums and 3 police box set discs which I think amounts to 4 albums plus a bunch of b-sides and live tracks. Definitely more Police songs overall.

Mike helped me parse Stings lyrics better than I normally would bother doing. I mainly focus on dissecting music, mostly drums:) I'm always amazed at how I can listen to an album for 10 years and still have no clue what the lyrics are.

What's cool about the Police is they are great from both sides. Sting's solo albums don't groove the same as the Police, but he's a great songwriter for sure.. He just didn't have Stewart Copeland around to screw up the songs on his own records:)

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction