Cats of Athens (and the Peloponnesus)

12 days of finding cats everywhere

Athens

This isn't the first cat I saw in Athens, but it was the one that inspired this blog post. How could I say no to the killer combo of a cat in a locked courtyard and a hundred oranges.
This cat was in no way tame and fled at the first opportunity, even though it was protected from me by a locked gate.
This orange cat was hunting something, but Brad said we didn't have time to investigate.
Cat on a (not so hot) tin roof and protected by barbed wire. I called it, but it was too busy trying to get some sleep to bother with me.
Apparently this part of Athens has a cat hostel?!? Even a place for them to hitch their horses while they wet their whiskers at a local saloon ;)
Lazy morning of absorbing the aroma of this Tree Germander which is in the mint family.
Leo said this one reminds them on the cat from Stray, a game we played together on the PS5 entirely based on the fact that you can play a cat with a backpack.


Most of the cats look like they are having an okay time on the street. This is the first (though not the last) that I feel a bit sorry for.
This classic black and white was very skittish. I found them sleeping beneath a rain cover of a scooter.
Right at the base of the Acropolis. Pretty sure this cat would have fucked me up if I tried to pet him before  getting his coffee.
High priestess of the Acropolis. This cat was getting as many photos taken as the ancient stonework was.
In Canada, that Junghenirich would definitely have been a CAT.
Reminds me of Muta from the Cat Returns
Top of the Funicular. This cat had the best (and windiest) view of Athens

Delphi and Itea/Krissa

Someone is taking care of their fur--yes they are!



Cat making a pilgrimage to see the Oracle?
Most of the cats are nearly silent unless they think you have food. This one was outright threatening me. Poor thing had a pretty serious wound behind one ear.
At the alter of Athena

Show off!
Beautiful white coat is rare in these parts. Ears and nose were pretty battered.
Waiting for the day his ship will come in?
Amongst all the cats, so far... this is the only kitten!

Olympia


Cats in a Venetian Castle in Greece. Too much of a good thing?

Castle Cat

Kalamata

slinky beach evening wear...
Tough customer in Stoupa
No one gets by without answering his riddle
Rockin' the rock

Nafplio and Mycenae 

Winner and only entrant in the category of "best family portraiture"
candid moment
one of the many who were scared to be approached :(
watching a gorgeous sunset -- same!
No more cats

Comments

handwing said…
Loved it. Did I ever post my "Urinals of Europe" sketchbook? I can honestly say I don't recall observing a single cat in the entire seventeen day, four country tour.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction