Greece (Athens)

Greece


Okay, so it was supposed to be "Hawaii (Maui), but I couldn't do it. Maybe it was just the time Brad and I were planning it, but accommodations on Maui were stupid expensive. I'm talking $250-$500 per night for sketchy results. Many airbnb listings were for something like this: 

"shared space in my back yard with a limit of 6 other families, so it doesn't feel crowded AND you can't leave your tent up any time between 6 am and 6 pm or we could get fined."

At the last minute, we did some quick brainstorming and came up with Greece. 

Nice Hotel... $100/night

Let's go...

2023-02-04 Flights

Bad flight experiences are not new and the international news has been rife with horrific travel stories. On his Christmas trip to Saskatoon, Brad lost several days of his vacation from weather delays AND had his luggage lost for the entire time he was here. Needless to say, I was worried that things were still going to be a shit storm.

Brad gets "apprehended" for  (barely) oversized luggage

We tried to tip the scales in our favour by planning a 2 week international vacation without checking any bags. We shall see if that feels wise by the time the trip is over.

However, the airlines must all be trying their very hardest to avoid further scrutiny and regulation, because with only the most minor of delays, we both arrived in Athens without incident. 

I was pretty sore from the trip and survived on giant pretzels, Red Bull, and a single square of chocolate courtesy Swiss Air.




2023-02-06 - (Athens)

07:41 negative COVID test

Wouldn't you know it? I woke up feeling sick. Sore muscles, and spine. Fuzzy, stuffed up head. Including today, I've tested negative for COVID 3 times this week, so at least I'm not going into lockdown in my hotel room. 

Instead, I am fighting this with all the medication I can throw at it--well, it's Brad's medication actually. As the prepared one, he travels with a small pharmacy and today I SHALL BENEFIT!


09:00 acropolis circuit

Don't rush me. The Acropolis wasn't opened yet. Did I forget to tell you? It SNOWED last night and it is super slippery on all the cobblestone and marble that the Greeks love to build with. So, I'm trying not to kill myself while taking some breathtaking and very unusual photos. I mean, it does snow in Athens from time to time, but it is rare to get much accumulation.


In addition to about a million pigeons, I also saw 5 birds that were new to my life list today: Eurasian Collared Dove, Common Chaffinch, Black Redstart, Eurasian Magpie, and Common Chiffchaff.

Below: None of those things :)
Instead I'm going to show you the first in my miniseries "Cats of Athens." Click and Enjoy.

13:00 Acropolis museum (still NOT the actual Acropolis)

I don't care for most museums, but this on is pretty special. The design is austere, but beautiful. So much natural light. I was struck over and over how much work has been done to recreate horribly deteriorated pieces of shattered statues and to try and show them in an original context. It allowed me to feel such a sense of loss for this ancient building that I've never had in all my years. Of course, I wasn't able to capture the wonder of the museum, so instead, I give you the Lego Acropolis, looking out onto the real Acropolis.

18:30 Supper at Veganaki 

Probably the most delicious vegan plate that I've ever eaten.


Also, I discovered Greek coffee is good! I couldn't believe how much it tasted like chocolate (which it does NOT contain)

2023-02-07

10:00 still sick :(

Long sleep in. I stayed up late editing photos and writing.

More photos of cats...

15:00 National Archeological Museum

There was a protest over government privatization (kinda familiar) of public services so we went and had coffee instead.

When we came back, the protesters were gone. 

I didn't love the gallery. I was too cold the whole time and pretty tired from being sick. I did get some fun photos and did enjoy one exhibit in particular:  The Antikythera Mechanism, a fabulous and detailed machine of gears that could calculate many astronomical cycles with great accuracy. It was in use in the first century BCE and when we lost the ability to make these machines a short while later, it would be 1500 years before we regained the knowledge and skill to replicate it.


With how corroded and utterly destroyed it was, it is remarkable that we can know so much about it.

2023-02-08

09:00 Feeling better

after a crappy nights sleep, full of sweat and coughing, I actually feel quite a bit better. Still tired in my bones, but noticeably improved.

Nabbed a few more birds today for my life list: White Wagtail, Great Tit, Rose-ringed Parakeet, and Eurasian Black Bird.


11:30 Acropolis actual

All that waiting. Let me tell you, the Acropolis is a ★★★★★ concept, but a ★★ experience as a tourist. Apparently, it was much worse when Brad was here 20 years ago. Filthy and jam packed with tourists. Today we were never near a group larger than 20 people, and often could only see a dozen people at a time. So that was good. My main disappointment is all the infrastructure that they have to try and manage the preservation (which I do believe is important). But, there are cranes, scaffolding and plastic mesh everywhere. I understand the necessity if they hope to preserve things, but it sort of destroys most of the great photo opportunities.

One opportunity that is not in short supply? Cats of Athens

#### 17:00 greek surprise (not a trojan horse)

Figured out with a moments notice that some changing of the guard was happening nearby to the park we were in. We jogged over and were privy to a very "special" ceremony.

Turns out the ceremony involves pom-poms on your feet and sticking your leg out REALLY straight while walking very slowly. He did so good.

17:20 Funicular

View while riding funicular through a pitch black tunnel, very slowly ★ 

View from the top of the ride ★★★★★ 

20:15 delete the day's photos

Yup deleted them all :(

Brad spending an hour rescuing 117 deleted photos ★★★★★ 

Thanks.






Comments

handwing said…
Perhaps it's the perception of Ancient Greece as a place of togas and sandscapes, but I'm truly surprised to find that it snows there.

Were you aware of such a likelihood when you booked the trip?

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction