Firsts

We've already discussed how February is a terrible month. We need not get into the details again. I do want to add that, as you might expect, it's not entirely February's fault. I guess it's been a case of shooting the messenger. Things start building up all through the winter. I distract myself and deny, but by February, I can't maintain the illusion that I'm happy and it all goes down-hill from there. So the shortest month gets the short stick, or short shrift, or something amounting to "up yours."

I know--I can be cruel that way. I'm really my own enemy. And, I've been improving how I handle things during the winter, but I'm still not able to manage it with any real grace. I can't shake the feeling like I'm faking it. Volleyball was one of the activities that I typically engage in to get some exercise (which helps a lot). Unfortunately, I felt compelled to withdraw from the team that I have been on for the last 3-4 years. Another crutch I've employed has been to do a theatrical production in the fall. Sadly, Gateway has gone out of business and Summer Players doesn't do anything big until auditions in the new year. 

Do not fret. I have plans. Big plans. Most exciting is my planned vacation for February. The last (and first) major international travel I did was in 2002 when I did my trip to Italy. Brad and I are in the midst of planning a sequel to this adventure. We are honing the details and I'll let you know what my plan is shortly. In the meantime, I've got to kill a about 11 weeks.

Firsts. There is something buoying about the first time we do something. It may be the act itself that thrills the senses. Or, perhaps, it is the post game. The perspective that thinking about it yields, leading to a greater satisfaction than we felt at the time. I've always had a thing for newness and I am now making a formal commitment to it. Until my trip I will observe and participate in the 'new' whenever possible. I will try to formally do a new thing each and every day. I will attend to this thing and reflect on it. Then I will report back to you. 

Naturally, things need to be kept sane. There is no time in my life for 11 weeks of a new country every day. First Ireland, then France, Japan.... No. Down that path madness lies. I need to keep it simple. Some days may be spectacular in their trail-blazingness. However, most will be seemingly mundane. I'm not independently wealthy or quitting my job to backpack the globe. I believe that the true jewel in this mining process will be to discover the newness of everyday.

Yesterday, I played with a friend's Xbox Kinect. Tonight, Leora is teaching me to count in Mandarin. I've already discovered that my brain is way worse at memorization than I remember. Ha!

Farewell, I've got to get back... to the newture. Aww crap. That's way too close to "neuter", which isn't what I was going for, at all.

Comments

Wendy James said…
I think it will be interesting to see what criteria you develop for a really good first. Is it the challenge, the newness, or something else entirely. I think the snow berries are the best so far.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction