Laundry Options

The clothes-line that I installed this spring was a great success. There was a certain art to finding enough sun this year, but we managed to run our 70s era dryer only a precious few times during the summer and fall. You might have noticed that it's gotten rather cold outside. Cold enough that hanging our laundry on our spiffy new outdoor line has become impossible.
Happy Days of Summer... Sniff
Now that we've gotten used to not running the clothes dryer, I just had to find a way to continue the energy savings during the winter. We already had a stand model that we've used off and on since we were married. It looked like this thing on the right. Well... almost. Ours was rusted in several places, two of the bars had fallen off due to failed welds and the piece that bridges the lower middle part had mysteriously gone missing. So, yeah... it falls down a lot--especially when you have two cats. Clothes don't dry too well on a concrete floor.

a clever disguise
After a couple of attempts after the snow first fell, Wen and I just couldn't bear it any longer. So, I bought another new energy efficient dryer. The 'man' in me wanted some great natural gas powered extravaganza. Unfortunately, I have certain duties as the poster boy for 'responsible children,' so I opted for a less flashy version that I think will still get the job done.

See how it is hangs quietly--out of the way. Unremarkable. It would never bother anyone. In fact it can be lifted right off it's wall bracket and stored in a corner or closet somewhere... forgotten. But, don't turn your back on it. It's got fangs... it can leap... look at the bones!
... but would you listen??? Nah!
I think it will prove to be a real asset to our chore slaying arsenal. Without wind and sun to help fluff the clothes, I plan to put them through the dryer for 10-15 minutes just before they get folded. 

I know, it's not quite as exciting as reading about climbing mountains or melting aluminum. But hey, it's what I've got. 

Comments

rainswept said…
Hanging to Dry: TNG

That's a great tool & "religiously" hanging-to-dry is one of the bestest & freest anti-waste measures available.

Also it's plus de retro.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction