Winter's Icy Grip

Winter's Icy Grip Crushes Goose Vanguard
I've been struggling a bit with this weather. It's a bit of an understatement (we may talk of that another time). Cold and lack of sunlight have me a bit down. I've been grouching at the girls, sighing a lot, and projecting gloom around the house in the evenings. Wendy gave me a kick in the pants last night and told me to take today off. I didn't have any work with the library scheduled, but I would have spent the morning making and canning chutney out of the beautifully ripe mangoes that I got on monday.

Instead I went to Don's Photo and found an awesome deal. A used Sigma 70-210mm f/4-5.6 auto-focus lense for $40! It's twin was sitting next to it for $100 (they were both on consignment and the price on one had just been dropped). OK, so Sigma is a bargain brand, but it's my first telephoto--I'm excited. Naturally, I had to go take some pictures.


1st set, 0-0
I went to campus and fooled around a bit and then met James for a great abbreviated match of snow tennis. It eventually had to be called on account of extreme gusting winds :) We wound up having a congenial coffee and muffin together.  This was my favourite shot of the day.

Man publicly flaunts his sense of glee -- authorities "nervous"

It's been a while, but yes, I think we both felt that good.

Comments

captainorange said…
Oops. I guess if you want to avoid the post appearing a billion times on your blog, you don't hit the back button to edit it . I guess 'edit' would have worked better :)
rainswept said…
:)

Croilsed! Looks like a good time! And to think without this unseasonably late weatherflavoured awesomesauce it would never have happened.
Great pic of James!

We've been trying to play tennis here for a while but its snowed nearly every day for two weeks! Can't ski and too icky for anything else. Hurumph. Perhaps some snow tennis this weekend for us.

Are you going to find a way to do another excursion out here this Aug? I'm off to the bush next week so I'll be mostly incommunicado for the next while. If you do intend on coming out, do you have any thoughts on a trip aspects. Longer/shorter/more technical/bike approach/canoe approach/etc?
captainorange said…
I have complete faith in your ability to choose. Currently, I am unbooked for the first two weeks in August. I'll be coming alone (likely) for this one and try for a 3-day turn-around. Assuming a half day's travel on either side, I should have a couple of days to play. IF I were to fly to Calgary (which is a sleight possibility), would it be possible for you to do some chauffer work? Not a deal breaker, but would be convenient.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction