Monday, April 23, 2007

Treo workout

A couple of weeks ago my tech-fingers got itchy. I really wanted a new cell phone, but couldn't afford the $$. Well, a change is as good as a rest, so... since Saskatchewan finally got phone# portability in March (yaaa!) I decided to break out Liz's broken sim-card Treo 600 phone and try to fix it up.

The Screen had lines running through it as a result of repeated dropping, I believe, and the volume button was broken.

A loose video cable was responsible for the screen problems and A piece of tissue paper strategically wedged solved the problem nicely.

As for the volume control, the problem was obvious, but not as easy to fix. Goop to the rescue. Not the easiest stuff to work with. I find it a bit messy, but it is oh, so flexible. I have used it to fix quite a few broken plastic parts, but none so small as this. I was really impressed with the results.

As a sad footnote to this whole affair, our new cat recently sent the fully functional Treo sailing off of my night-side table and onto the floor (a little over a meter onto ceramic tile) and it naturally landed right on the volume button. I took apart the whole thing to get it working again, but the button itself was smashed into about 4 pieces. I guess I have my work cut out for me.