Anna's Inspiration


Our good friend Anna has been keeping a blog of (nearly?) every meal she has been eating for the last little while. I am inspired to present, at least, one of my meals.

My latest craze is pizza. I have always loved it in most of it's non-frozen forms. Recently, Wendy made the grand mistake of allowing me to get a fantastic new book (amazon.ca) from McNally Robinson. The author spent many years in southern Italy and provides a wealth of traditional techniques blended with some common sense updates (e.g. the food processor). While I have found that the flour to water ratio in the basic crust recipe is suspect (perhaps altitude or strange measuring devices are to blame...), the instructions and description of how the dough should handle were so accurate that I have been able to make crusts that far surpassed any of my previous attempts (and there have been many). Then there is the sauce that is rendered from fresh vine tomatoes right on the stove as the dough rises. Fresh spices and the finest uncured mozza -- you get the idea. Wen complains that there is too much oil in the recipes, but hey, its x-virgin olive -- the acetaminophen of the oil world (without the abdominal bleeding)! For this particular meal, we invited January and the Plow, so I went all out and destroyed the kitchen. With Ms. Orange's acumen, the remnants were swept away and what remained were an incredible red pesto and these terrific walnut parsley buns which are from the same book.

Comments

rainswept said…
I can vouch for the excellence of both pizzas, the red pesto, and the walnut buns. If they were better fresh than they were fridgecool at 10pm then many kudos are due.

the_Plow laughs to note that she and the baby generally receive a meal invite when I am known to be working ;)
captainorange said…
gee... we had no idea! I recommend you stop working 5 of 7 supper hours. You never know what might happen.
Greta James said…
I hope you are planning on cooking like this when I am visiting!
captainorange said…
Try and stop me. I'm hoping that you will make seitan for us again while you are here. I have a little of that flour left, but you may wish to bring some (unless you tell me where to get it in town).
Anna said…
Wow! I have to make pizza this week - this is so tempting :) BTW, we're back from San Francisco and wanna have your family for dinner - how's this weekend sometime?
captainorange said…
Kind of up in the air. I will have four children, though.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction