I was pleasantly surprised to find that Vin's apartment was sporting a fire upon my arrival for our continuing QT ritual. This particular log was a 'crackler' which came equipped with sounds approximating real wood (tip of the hat). As encouragement to those of you who feel disinclined to acquiesce to our requests to appear, Vin suggests that the next one he buys will be a 'java log'. Woe to he that misses out.

Chantelle thinks that The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clayis the cat's ass, so to speak. Vin has been finnished it for several days already and has passed it onto her. That was the most memorable thing that came from QT last night I am gratified that I remembered to bring the book to QE13 at all. I was in real dispair regarding a Quest book and it was only a last moment remembrance that saw its inclusion at all. Shame on me. I think as pennance, I SHOULD read it again. Especially since we tried to have a conversation about it and my memories of the book were old enough that I was flailing just to remember the order of the plot.

In contrast to the reading flurry in Vin's appartment, I am only a handfull of pages into House of Leaves (for anyone who hasn't read the book yet, I can definitely say "This is not for you." But, if you are in a rush to read your own copy, perhaps this is). It is tres enjoyable, but I just haven't made the time to become fully engrossed.

As you may all remember, no one provided any tangible goals for the comming year. I plan to publish mine here for the edification of all. As per our discussion of Q13, the group would perhaps wonder why? Do I do it in order to seek your approval? Am I desperate to succeed and require the motivation of fear that others will know of my failure? I'm afraid that I say 'NO' to both counts. Both of those items were discussed, but a third was ignored or undiscovered. I wish to both encourage you, and share my success and/or failure. I don't need to tell anyone that it is a short conversation when you can only share your successes. Sometimes they seem way too far and few between. Naturally, I hope to have a winning record. But, if I have to I will also revel (with you, I hope) in my humanity as I stumble.

I'm not holding myself to the canonical three. Instead, I hope to make a continued effort to add things to the list of ways that I want to change--both in ways I'm sure to manage and ones that seem destined for failure.

First, and easiest to verify... I will update this blog once a week, minimum. I hope for more, but given my track record (see my 1st and 2nd posts), I will remain cautious.

Second, I shall drink no coffee but that I have a partner to share with. I will honour the spirit of the beans which, you will notice, are always at their best in congregation. The only exception that I will beg is during long driving sessions that stretch into the night.

Comments

rainswept said…
Well, I guess I'll slap up my µQ here. A total ban on new non-fiction. It's all novels this year for me. I'm making specific exceptions for reReads of certain books I already own - namely the joyous Millenial Project and thoughtful Once & Future Myths, plus game rules and the like of course. Simplify, simplify, simplify!

"Lay em down, Sethe. Sword and shield. Down. Down. Both of em down. Down by the riverside. Sword and shield. Don't study war no more. Lay all that mess down. Sword and shield." - Baby Suggs

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction