The Metallica Blacklist

My friend Scott gives me musical recommendations from time to time. He sent me an innocuous text a week or so ago:

Normally a couple of songs sends me into an afternoon long diversion of musical exploration. This album is 54 songs! 12 Versions of Enter Sandman, alone. Yikes.

Full disclosure, I didn’t listen to the entire album… yet. I wanted to get back to Scott sometime before Christmas, so I focused on the songs that I know really well and love. I’ve mostly restricted myself to positive comments, though occasionally I can’t help myself.

FWIW, here are my thoughts on having listened to most of them through twice. If you subscribe to Apple Music, this is the link:

Enter Sandman

Alessia Cara

    • Probably the best of the pop versions of any of the songs (and Canadian!)

Rina Sawayama 

    • Loved some of the harmonic choices she used in her vocals, but was mostly underwhelmed by the music 

Sad but true

Sam fender

    • Soooo far from the original in style, but he completely owned it! On the right day, I might have missed that it is even a cover of one of my favourite songs.

The Unforgiven 

[Strangely, I liked nearly all of them, but particularly…]

Flatbush Zombies 

    • Unless I’m mistaken, it is the original vocals slowed down so that the rap works double time?!? Is that right. Anyway, I love original/diverse lyrics in a remake.

Ha*Ash

    • Latin/Country/Pop??? Didn’t know it was missing from my life. More, please.

Moses Sumney

    • My favourite from the whole album!!!
    • I was literally “hooked” by the guitar opener. His falsetto is terrific.

Nothing Else Matters

Phoebe Bridgers

    • Intimate and haunting. Such an appropriate take on this song. Haunting. The simplicity of the piano/violin combo and the occasionally duplicated/ghosted lyrics. Love.

Miley Cyrus (with one of the most amazing ‘feat’ lists of modern times)

    • I didn’t want to like it, but… the drum and guitar (and yes vocal) crescendo was great. I liked the cello ending, also. Yo-yo Ma is alright.

Dave Gahan 

    • Loved the careful, methodical lyrics. I could have used more of the ghostly digital effects. I was into it, but wanted (just a bit) more.

Chris Stapleton

    • Well adapted outside it’s genre (though not too far). And, while I don’t want to get into complaints, it certainly shows well after failed attempts by Igor levit, My Morning Jacket, and PG Roxette.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction