Honduras - Day 4

I know I said I was going to take the day off. Well... I didn't do any diving.

After my morning activities (last post), I played some basket ball...

hunted down some hummers

went down an awesome 10-run zip line
one of the vistas from our zip-line tour
and went horseback riding.

A relaxing day.

This exemplifies how I saw Roatan today
The best part of the day was that I started to get a real sense of what Roatan is like. It's easy to get stuck in the resort mentality. Everything is easy and you're the king of the world. They try to provide everything you need. But, it's not a real place. Roatan is earthy. The people swear with equal facility in English and Spanish and they are friendly. Sadly, its a bit forced. There is a real need to be friendly with people who are responsible for virtually your entire economy. I'd rather be visiting as an equal.

As it turns out, this entire island is much like I first observed on the ride from the airport to the resort. Nothing is close together. It is an endless stream of villages that have their own names, but islanders treat it all like one city. They are proud of their identity, protect the tourists and are apprehensive of the mainland. We have been warned repeatedly to be careful. The mainland doesn't see remotely the tourist dollars that the islands do. It will be interesting to see if their warnings are warranted.

Something I've learned about myself is that I don't need my vacation to be easy and I don't need it to be far off. Both of those things are nice, to a degree, but I just need time to not be responsible for anything.

Comments

Wendy James said…
I wondered how the resort would sit with you long term - too little risk. Sounds like you had a very Mike day and your comments about the people and culture are really interesting. That is the part of travel that I find the most compelling - it is really life altering to understand other world views.

Good to see you were able to get Brad out of the ocean a bit. . .
handwing said…
I, too, pondered your decision to go with a resort - but from the perspective I gained in Punta Cana. I had a great time, and there was plenty of opportunity for adventure and reflection, but I never felt I had the pulse of the place like I did when busking, reading, and eating on Toronto's streets. It's almost as if what I would crave now would be more of an exchange program. Or somehow being forced to walk too far for too long to find a stranger's hospitality and a warm beverage or soup!
handwing said…
I think the closest offering to your sentiments found in tonight's Oysterhead premiere listening comes from the title track:
"In the Grand Pecking Order
Where is it you stand
Under foot of swollen bastards
Or on the neck of another man
At the grand feeding table
Are you sitting near the head
Or the corner by the bathroom
Where you're asked to pass the bread
And you pass it with a smile on your face
For to pout about would only bring disgrace
To the Grand Pecking Order"

Popular posts from this blog

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction

Master Gift Getter