Saskatoon

The berries, that is. Wen and the girls and I went to the Strawberry Ranch today and spent an hour picking before I went to work. We came away with 12 litres of berries for a total of $22 (plus gas and a little manual labour), which you will know as a fantastic deal if you have ever paid $4-6 for a pint (about 1/2 litre) of them at the supermarket.

Off to work I went... Oh, did I mention that I'm working at the Cliff Wright library? I can't remember if I've told you or not. Anyway, I am. I'm hoping for a casual position for the fall, but in the meantime, I'm working in the back as a page. It is great fun. Handling books all day really lifts my spirits and I feel like I am part of an enormous and beneficial machine for human betterment. Enough of that...

Home I came and the twelve litres of berries washed and gazing dumbly at me. Their seedy little stares daring me to do something. Before they could muster a defense, the four of us rushed to make a base of flour and fat (crust for those following in the text-book) and in short order, we had manufactured 7 Saskatoon pies with formidable lattice crusts to keep the pesky buggers at bay. We baked 4 and set the other 3 straight to the freezer. Damn! I neglected to take pictures. What kind of blogger am I, anyway? Just as well, I suppose. My treatment of those poor berries would make the Afghanistan detainee scandal look like a trip to Club Med. Oh, well. Onward.

After putting the girls to bed, Wen and I launched a surprise attack on the second battalion of our foes. Using cleverly disguised lemon zest as bait, Litre 2 fell to my vicious machinations and they were summarily turned into jam. No sooner had I sealed the last jar, when I discovered my clever wife had managed to coerce the last of the stragglers, spirits quite broken, into freezer bags, thus sealing their fate. Feeling quite smug by this point, we celebrated with a piece of still warm pie a la mode.

Comments

Greta James said…
Your description of your battle with Saskatoon berries reminds me of the many late night arguments Anthony and I have had over the rights of carrots. He maintains that I am the ultimate of cruel because I not only kill these poor helpless vegetables put I often skin and eat them alive! I pointed out that cows eat grass, killing hundreds of vegetable souls with every bite. So when you eat a cow you are responsible for compound soul killing!
Anyway, my heart goes out to the Saskatoon berry carnage.
berries dont have rights because they cant carry a gun. Or to quote:

"Casey doesnt have bad dreams cause shes just a piece of plastic"

Your false start at the citynavigation strikes me as being fairly indicitive of the cussedness of the universe!

As you may have guessed, Im back from the bush so I expect a mega post will be soon at daviditron

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction