Never Let Me Down

I'm old enough to have started buying my music on Vinyl, though most of my collection was cassette. I only transitioned to CDs late in my university career. I kept a number of my records for 20 years after I no longer had a turntable. Eventually, they hit the dustbin along with nearly every cassette I ever bought.

Did I ever own those songs? They certainly own my dreams. I feel like the songs are part of me. It doesn't seem right that I have to pay to own part of me. Ah, the success of the RIAA.

Oh, yeah. This isn't a rant against the music corporations. This is a celebration of a few albums that I've rediscovered. I eventually became embarrassed with my possession of each of these. Now I've had to pay for them again. I look back and realize that I was lacking in self confidence. I found it hard to maintain or defend any opinion, not just those involving music.

Styx: Kilroy Was Here
My first album (1982). I was 10 years old. I know I just bought it for the cover art and because Mr. Roboto was played several times a night when I went out to the "Good Times Roller Rink". There is some serious 'cheese' on this album, but I love the story behind the rock-opera lyrics. I stared at the pictures on the fold out pages of this album cover and wished often that someone would really make the movie that was depicted in staged photos.
Bon Jovi: Slippery When Wet
1987. I was 15. This was all about the girls. I had my own turntable in my room by this time and I must have really irritated my family with the constantly blaring music. Especially since I would just listen to one song 20 times over.
David Bowie: Never Let Me Down
I've just finished listening to glass spider. Shivers. I love it. In 1987 Bowie claimed that it was the favourite album that he had made in a long time. He later recanted and said it was trash that he had just phoned in. He may have been depressed in the 80s, but I'm really glad he was able to find the 'phone' for long enough to record these 11 tracks. Sadly track 10 too dizzy wasn't included on the iTunes release of the album. I may have to go searching for that one.


Comments

rainswept said…
Good stuff! Mr. Roboto is for sure one of those "a man's reach should exceed his grasp" efforts.

Never Let Me Down may not be a great album, but "Time Will Crawl" is a great song. But what made you buy a Bowie album back then?
captainorange said…
"I don't know. I've never understood it."

"No, it's right. I figured it out. I could never do it before. I think I'm getting smarter. This is a piece of cake.
rainswept said…
Excellent.
Ian said…
Love vinyl. My player only broke a few years ago. I'd replace it, but it is less convenient to use than digital. Being realistic, I really don't need one. Still got 100 or so LPs kicking around. Even though they passed their heyday by the time I got into University, I loved going to the local record shop in London, Ont (Dr. Disc, which has gone out of business now, not surprisingly) and picking up classic LPs for ~$3. It was great fun.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction