Minor (and not so) repairs

You likely recall that I got Rock Band last January (I considered it a birthday gift from the Universe). I intended to post about my first repair, but perhaps I forgot. I won't bore you with the details other than to say that an integral component in the guitar stopped working. As it turns out, there was a broken spring involved. After 12 or so screws that stood in my way, the repair itself was fairly simple. I feel great when I repair these things because it saves both me and the companies involved money (Well, technically the warranty wasn't expired -- the first time, but who cares, it was fun)
  • I don't have to be without the controller for 4 weeks
  • No one has to pick up the tab for thousands of miles of shipping
  • I (hopefully) learn a bit about the electronics involved
So, I refashioned  the existing spring -- simply stretching it out a bit further and making a new loop so it could reattach to where it had fallen from. The repair lasted about 4 months only to surface again. Small surprise really, since it was the same crappy spring only a centimeter shorter. The second time, I found a perfect substitute: a spring from a clicky pen.

In January, (now a year since purchase) the drums suffered a critical failure. One of the pads ceased to accept any input. The drums were much more difficult to get into. The culprit was a broken wire. With quite a bit of luck and some soldering skill, I managed to extend the origianl wires and put Humpty together again. There were any number of hidden screws in this process and in the end, I'm pretty lucky that I didn't break anything that I could not fix.

Comments

Ian said…
I've been impressed with the durability of those drums overall. Cheap real drum equipment can fall apart quicker.

Good point about shipping around the world for a small repair. Too bad they can't find local people to do it.
captainorange said…
That would be a great plan. Plan being integral. I don't quite know where it started, but, for me, Cell phones were the harbingers of the 'replace not repair' mentality that we all subscribe to currently. Anna's Iphone is a perfect example (and quite different from these drums). There are likely not 100 people in Canada who know how to open one, much less diagnose and fix the malfunctioning GPS functionality.
Ian said…
Yeah, that's it. There's not enough people who know how to repair them.

With the cell phone example, often times they aren't really repairable. With Anna's iphone, I think the gps comes on a "system on a chip".. wifi, gps, processor, and a whole wackload of other stuff all integrated onto one chip. If the gps stops working, I think the part is bad, and likely way too small to solder anything successfully. And they're made in China, so that's pretty much what has to happen.

When I got my last mac, I watched it come via courier and screen capped the travel. Shanghai, Osaka, Anchorage alaska, Louisville KY, Buffalo NY, Mount Hope ON, Winnipeg, Saskatoon.
Vincent Diakuw said…
Congratulations on participating in the 'self-economy' of repair (yet again).

If you were that sort, I suppose you could list your skills and rates on Kijiji... sort of a Void Your Warranty Here service ;)
captainorange said…
It's the kind of arrangement that really can only work with family and friends. Maybe I only think that because that is who I'm interested in spending my repair time on anyway...
In this electronic age, it takes a little courage to open something up. I think many of us suffer from a case of "I hope I don't mess this up even more" I suspect it comes from being surrounded by things whose working mechanism is less than perfectly understood.

Good to hear that activity is once again a powerful ally.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction