Time and the Struggle to Quote Myself

Time 

Read an article on time that tried to sound like it was flipping traditional thought on time on their head, but  (and maybe this is because it isn't a scientific article) it felt like it was using far to vague and self defining language for me to be convinced of anything in particular. But, it was interesting to try and think of time in a different way.


I like to take my brain for a walk, now and then (now and now?)

Anyway, it got me thinking that even though there is a need to manage our 'time' (if that is it's true nature), Time as a commodity is problematic in some ways. For much of my life, I have struggled to 'fit things in' or save time so that I can do more things...

    Gotta do more, gotta BE more! -DPS-

That kind of thinking lead me to a number of grand experiments in sleep deprivation. In 1991 I wrote this poem at 4am.

Sleepless

Slushy eyes struggling
Sunshine surging salty sand
Stinging sleepless orbs

Neck-ache -- Shocking crack  
Rocks ricketty crooked back
Reckless broken sack

Thrumming mind seems dumb
Imagination -- numbness
Slumber mocking me...

I wasn't yet, but soon would be drawn into a project by Dave and Vin to claw back 8 years of wakefulness--so called intentional living--by restricting my sleep to 4 hours a night (I was going to learn to play piano, among other things). 

1 ★ -- Do NOT recommend sleep deprivation

On the other hand, my piano dreams have been switched (briefly?) to the organ

Thanks to my friend, Scott, who helped this old Hammond come into my life. A little TLC and I got the volume pedal somewhat functional and the tone much improved.

Hedonistic Straw Man

Another recent read:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jan/23/hedonism-is-overrated-to-make-the-best-of-life-there-must-be-pain-says-yale-professor

Not sure who is exactly championing hedonism beyond Romans of a certain era? However, while the title is stupid, I do feel the content is pertinent to my life (and maybe yours) as we hurtle towards the original City Walk's 26th anniversary. I was going to put together some notes on the value of struggle in attaining happiness. Turns out this Yale professor should have been reading my blog (maybe he was).

This is the blog post I wrote in 2006 after successfully completing the CityWalk for the fist time.

https://captainorange.blogspot.com/2006/08/why.html

TLDR;  I wanted it to be hard. Hard enough that I took a real risk of failure -- yet tame enough that there is no risk to my family that they would be orphaned by my failure.

Too much struggle may be a bad thing, but the only thing worse than too much is not enough.

Though Pippin disagrees

Time probably doesn't exist the way you think it does... If so, am I even repeating myself?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction