Working for the Saskatoon Public Library from home during COVID-19 - Introduction

Intro

Just a peek at my home workspace, some of the challenges I am facing while working from home. This was originally done as one of my handwritten posts, but Blogger is so hostile to that sort of presentation, that I decided to type it all out :(

Starting My Day

I wake up at 6:30am. No, not because I want to -- because I'm married to an early-bird. 
Usually start with 2 shots of espresso over the course of the first 45 minutes.

Journal for 15-20 minutes. I find gratitude and reflection really important.

Yoga and a walk or run. About 1 hour in total.

I am steadfast in My adherence to these morning rituals. I used to be much more "inspirational", but I have learned that I enjoy life more and get more of what I want with a little more structure. I relax a bit on the weekend.

Mike's Workspace


The most important feature of this space is the sun. Mostly because I am solar powered, but also because light is essential for good photos / video (which is a major part of what I do for SPL from home.

I am lucky to have a big room to work in. There is even a closet where I share my collection of camera gear (a nice symbiotic hobby). Said closet is also where I hang the green screen as a backdrop for my videos.

Of course, I also have my puppetry workshop in the basement. I'm not getting into that right now ;)

Organizing My Time

To that end, I use a calendar on my phone. Obviously, strict time means less at home. After all, there are no patrons waiting for a Storytime and no one to meet with
to work on a project. So, I actually work whenever it "works". I need to take the 3 other adults in my house into consideration, Since my "office" is in the middle of our living space. 



One problem I have is working "all the time". To cope at home I have started using a time tracker (the app is called TOGGL). Once I'm logged in, I can start and stop timers easily from my phone, iPad, or laptop. It has worked really well for preventing work time from becoming all the time. It also helps to keep me focused on one task at a time.

Winding Down

Lets just say, I don't! This is an area of potential growth for me. While I manage to clean up my area and put work tools away, there is one thing I don't put away—my brain. I need to develop an end of day routine and be diligent about clearing my thoughts. Currently, I think about next projects, for how I might have upset someone, or how someone upset me.

Suggestions are welcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction