JAU - Just another update

One of my “update” style posts. We are going to get into a hodge-podge of activities.

Puppets

Hmmm... I think that bear may be putting on a layer of winter fat :(

 A few months back, I was contacted to do some shadow puppetry for the Remai Modern art gallery. I try and choose to involve the library whenever possible, so I arranged to do it via SPL. I get paid less for the gig this way, but I also get paid for the development and preparation time, so it more than balances. Also, it raises the profile of the library, which I love.

 I decided to do a show that we had previously developed which we call “The Hat Trilogy.” It is a mixed puppetry version of three of Jon Klassen’s books: I Want My Hat Back, This is Not My Hat, and We Found a Hat. They are excellent and entertaining children’s picture books. It was originally Claire’s idea and she directed the original showing of it at the library. So, it’s general form is pretty much thanks to her (and, of course, Klassen). I developed some nice shadow puppets for it, and Jim built most of the physical puppets.

It was a fine performance at the Remai, though the lighting was poor. I never expected to get a social media response (much less a positive one) from my current favourite picture-book author. My manager, Katie, posted a video on twitter  (FYI, not nearly as good as being there) and to all of our surprise, he responded (that doesn’t normally happen). Anyway, he was very positive and my spirits rode pretty high for a week or so.

The week after, I did a workshop for the Remai, teaching adults to build their own shadow puppets. I had very few participants, but he people I had were really keen and all surpassed my expectations.
 

 

 

Currently, I am still working on a couple of new bits with Jim and Crispi for school programs this winter. I think it is going to be really pretty.



 

New Shoes

Picked these up yesterday at TRAXX. Super fun. Thanks to a great morning walk on the Meewasin, fabulous autumn light, and a challenge issued from Wendy, I engaged in a little morning photo session starring my new sneakers
 Not sure where these shoes have been all my life. Not only are they really comfy, they look fun and edgy. Usually, that equals uncomfortable.
  Saskatoon Stork?

 Hanging in there...

Passing the ‘Spin’ test

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction