Vancouver: Stolen Holiday -- Day 5

Day 5

Bloedel Conservatory roof
Can't let yesterday get me down. I got a fresh view of Canada's 3rd largest city and made a new acquaintance, should I ever find myself down and out. But, I've come to vancouver to lighten my spirits and I've only got one day left. I hear it is in the -30s (counting the windchill) back home. I feel in a tropical mood today.

I have postponed a trip to the Bloedel Conservatory so far, because I thought it would be a perfect activity for Wendy to do with me. I hadn't counted on how tired she would be, nor how early it would get dark. I was surprised that at this time of year the sun sets 30 minutes earlier than it does in Saskatoon. It makes up for it by rising an hour earlier. Damn daylight savings time.

The hike to the Bloedel is about 7.5km from downtown, but it is a interesting walk. I crossed the Cambie St. Bridge, right at the tail end of English Bay. Suddenly all of the tall buildings were gone and I was walking into brilliant sunshine. Up a long hill, through Mt. Pleasant and South Cambie and I was at the conservatory. It isn't terribly large, but they have many species of birds.
I had the foresight to stop by Leo's Camera Supply on the way. They didn't have the new camera body that I was looking for (Pentax K70) but they did have quite a selection of old, film era lenses. I found a 100-300mm beauty for $100 and you are the beneficiaries.
John, Paul, George, or Ringo?
The most difficult part of photographing them was the humidity. It was a long cold walk and the tropical climate inside the conservatory tested the limits of my cameras weather sealing. I had to sit for 45 minutes before wiping down my equipment was even feasible.

In my Google Photos album, there are many more bird photos, but I don't want to test your patience, so, if you are interested, you will have to go hunting for them.

Sooooo Cute!
 After jogging back downtown with all my gear, I felt it was time to stretch my legs. Wendy and I went for a walk in Stanley Park. I had hoped for something less traditional, but there you have it. At it turns out, lots of people do it because it is both easy and pretty spectacular.

In our many evening strolls, we passed by the adorable house-boat in the previous photo. I speculated on whether we could sell all of our possessions and move into something similar. Wendy pointed out that I can get seasick on most seaside docks. Oh well, Saskatchewan. Still stuck with me for a while.

Since I was busy taking pictures with my new lens, Wendy easily outpaced me. I had to text her to enable the posed shot below. I asked for "wistfully gazing into the distance." I think I got more "grudgingly counting the seconds until I can continue my walk."
It is said that "the look" can transcend the resolution limits of the human re
We passed by a television or movie crew. Many cameras, cables and light controlling paraphernalia were spread out on a small rise above the sea-wall. They were clearly waiting to capture the sunset with the vancouver skyline in the distance.

Skeptics would say that this Great Blue Heron was only waiting for a fish to swim past. Dreamers may believe me when I say that I think he, too, was waiting for the beauty of sky to sink spectacularly into darkness.
 And, wouldn't you know. So was I...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction