Maurice Sendak


I felt pretty powerless as a little kid. I was terrible at crossing the street. Even if my mother started crossing, I would rip my hand free of hers and stubbornly wait if there was a car within two blocks. I think the only reason I ever crossed, is that she began leaving without me and the only thing I feared more than being struck by a car was being lost and alone.

Example: When I was a pre-schooler, I once cried while holding my mothers hand on a crowded stairwell (in church) because I had momentarily lost sight of her.

Maurice Sendak acknowledged the utter powerlessness of children, but still gave them power. It made a big difference to me. I took comfort knowing that Max was a tiny kid and on a time-out, but still able to stare down the ferocious Wild Things.

Sendak is dead.

If you are wired, you already know this, so let's not rehash(tag). There are already fantastic stories in the New York Times and tributes on NPR. If you are a fan and have an hour to spend, you could read and listen to them. I am. I did. Whatever. The Times article and the NPR story were both put together after his death.

If you can only spare 15 minutes to get to know this author, I suggest you watch his appearance on the Colbert Report. I couldn't stop laughing.
Part 1
Part 2
After his death, they released some extra footage from the interview Part 3 -- in case you want to hear Sendak say shit :)
  • Favourite: Outside Over There 
    • I linked this one to wikipedia, since it may be the most famous one you don't know
    • Turns out it was the inspiration for Jim Henson's Labyrinth
  • Best for Pooh Corner reading: Where the Wild Things Are
    • First book I can remember purchasing with my own money.
  • Most Ridiculous Chicken-soupy: Chicken Soup with Rice
    • I made faux chicken soup with rice scores of times during my dayhome years. I read this every time we ate it for lunch.
  • Most often read: In the Night Kitchen
    • It also wins the "Favourite as a child that I forgot until I had kids of my own" award. Thanks, Vin.

Comments

rainswept said…
There's no denying Sendak's power. I don't know if it's even possible to walk past In the Night Kitchen without opening it.

Thanks for the Colbert links.
Jeff King said…
Did you ever see the Gene Deitch / Peter Shickele animated version of "In the Night Kitchen"? It's campy and surreal, but somehow the more times I watch it the more I love it.
captainorange said…
Thanks, Peff. Pretty trippy. I had not seen it. Love the voicing. I found it a bit slow. Needs a little more pep. Here is a link for anyone who is interested in a 240 res video.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction