The Perfect 1950's Wife



I spent the entire day preparing a dinner for some of Wendy's work friends. It was also cleaning day and one of the invitees has cat allergies (needed to do an extra good job of vacuuming the furniture). The first thing I did was get a really good playlist going in iTunes.

I prepped some materials for my dessert. I decided on a Greek style, which is to say it has no crust and is only a little sweet. I made a honey glaze and topped it with heart-shaped strawberries marinaded in lemon and sugar and a few mint leaves that are growing on our windowsill.


Above is the salad that I made. It is an awesome recipe that Jodi introduced us to this winter. Celery, walnuts, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. It's hearty, crunchy and zesty.

Veggie lasagne was the main course. It's a modified version of a recipe from the Looneyspoons cook book (mine has a bunch of great mushrooms and fresh tomato). Apparently, it is out of print now, but still available on Amazon.
In case you've never made a lasagne before, below is a cutaway of the layering process

The last thing I put in the oven were two loaves of focaccia bread.
I will report that I did not wear an apron during this ordeal, nor did I wear high heels and I forgot to fetch Wendy's slippers when she arrived home. I guess I have a ways to go on the road to 1950's ideal ;)

Comments

rainswept said…
That salad looks & sounds fantastic!

There is a new Looneyspoons Collection that I suppose replaces the earlier pair of books.
Anna said…
YUM!
Jodi said…
I'm hungry just looking at this, Mike! Looks delicious.
Looks good! I must say, the first picture is really professional quality. Looks like it's from a magazine!
captainorange said…
Thanks, Doctor. My father helped me get a good tripod for my birthday. It and my remote control got a good workout for this post.
captainorange said…
It was hard not to have seconds of everything... except the salad, which we have been having a bit too often for my taste. Wendy LOVES it.
Kyla said…
Good Lord.
I have to admit, I swing back and forth on who I want to be married to in your family. Wendy's gardening blog pretty much secured it, but that cut away of the lasagna.... that is going the extra mile! The question no one seems to be asking, "Were you wearing heels and a girdle?"

Also Mike, the photography is really pretty. That is a non technical and purely aesthetic term.
captainorange said…
I answered the heels question already. As for the girdle, you'll just have to wait for my pin-up calendar ;)
Wendy James said…
It was a really great meal and a really clean house. All my friends enjoyed themselves despite the lack of martinis and cigarettes that really should have been offered in the 50s.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction