CC

Cookies and Cream was our cat (for those who don' t know). She was 3 months old when we rescued her from the SPCA last year. I was opposed to 'owning' a pet, but a compromise was struck whereby we could have a new family member -- so long as she was as free as we could possibly allow. This lead to her having her own door which she happily used at all hours of the day. It also meant that when she brought in mice and birds to show us, we would make no serious effort to deter her (much as Wendy tolerates my coffee drinking, my vegetarianism and general odd behavior).

Without getting sappy, suffice it to say that CC was great pleasure to live with.

She is dead. . She was about 15 months old on April 1st when she was hit by a car crossing Clarence Ave.

Despite my resistance to eating meat, extreme respect for life, and a general feeling that animals ought not be treated as slaves, I have never previously mourned for the death of anyone (animal or human). It was with great surprise that I discovered just how devastated I was by this one animal's death.

I carved out a niche in the frozen ground near our compost pile where she was often found reaping a bountiful harvest of mice or chasing leaves and insects.
Cookies and Cream 07-08

Comments

Ian said…
Hope the family is doing ok. Real sad news.
captainorange said…
It was a rough go, but everyone is coping well.

Today, we signed up to be a foster home for animals from the SPCA that need a place to have their babies.
Very sad news. Cats seem to be bestowed with remarkable powers to soothe the soul and awaken our playfulness.
my sympathies are with you.
Melistress said…
how awful. We had a 10 week old puppy who got wrapped around the post under our deck that he managed to find a hole to get into and he crushed his throat. We were devastated too.

My sympathies to your family.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction