Calgary Central Library (Wendy’s Take)

As we explored Calgary’s newest library, the differences between Wendy and I made themselves as clear as ever. We decided to do “he said, she said” comparison posts. Following is the Wendy Brain: 

Library as art gallery

When Mike and I arrived at Calgary’s new central library, it felt like we were arriving at an art gallery. There was big sculpture shouting community out front, and the building’s architecture flowed. But when you get inside, the volunteers (yes, there are regular tours departing from the front doors) from tour groups to describe exactly how form and function are married in the building.  We’ll talk about that more as we go, but favorite elements. Mike loved the stairs and how they formed the heart of the building.  I thought the stairs, combined with open but demarcated spaces give you windows into all the special spaces. Finally, we both loves the geometric windows and lovely found spaces. You could spend days thinking about the use of light in the building. I know I have.
 

 

 

Here are my favorite things about the new Calgary central library (yes, I am so envious).

Library as community

I loved the nods to the diverse communities in the library.  Like the main library at the U of S, there are many glassed in spaces to rent.  Seating is very diverse and developed for a wide variety of spaces.  I loved the repeated nods to Treaty 7, the spaces for newcomers, and the furniture designed for people to interact, use technology, create, and sit quietly. 
The best nod to community is what you see right when you come in.  You can see all the places to write your favourite books, places to write what you love about libraries, and places to vote on how you use your branch libraries. There was a lot of consultation in the making of the library, but when you come in you realize it is still happening.
 







A library for children and teens

As you come around a corner in the children’s area, you see a series of levels, almost extended stairs that make a series of stations.  They are bracketed on the right by a ramp that serves a stroller parking and by spaces for child minding, story time, and a wonderful play space.  As you move through the levels, the space opens up into spaces of discovery and invention.  Mike had trouble moving on.
On the opposite side of the big oval, the teen area includes multiple gaming screens, board games, a stage, doodle art, tables and creative chairs – it is the kind of space I always wished I could teach in. 
 





Nod to the traditions of libraries

I love the move to libraries as busy hubs with coffee shops, dialogue and creativity, and digital literacy. But I am a big reader, and I am also nostalgic about the libraries of stories from my childhood.  I loved the card catalog art, displays of art and traditional literature, older technologies and local history.  I was loving up the local history books when I found a particularly funny set of shelves for people who live on the prairies.
It was so worth it to visit the library and see it as center of the community.  If you are a teacher-librarian and want to think about what libraries can be, or a SPL librarian or programmer thinking about what a library led by the community can be, it is worth the trip.  Like Saskatoon, Calgary needed a space for families, literacy, and culture, that celebrates our Indigenous roots and welcomes newcomers.  I know we don’t have the population base to build a library on that scale, but I sure hope we can build a library in the same vein.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction